As any good retailer knows, the customer has the power. Here are the top 10 mistakes retail sales people make when engaging with customers.
- Failing to build rapport with the customer. This is the age of “ization”: customization and personalization.
- Failing to ask questions to discover the customer’s needs and requirements.
- Focusing on their own agenda instead of the customer’s.
- Talking more than listening.
- Sharing random information that isn’t relevant to the customer’s needs.
- Lack of knowledge about current promotions, sales, pricing.
- Lack of product knowledge.
- Selling too fast; trying to get the customer to buy before they are ready.
- Failing to address objections.
- Failing to add on to the sale, failing to make suggestions that would complement the customer’s purchase.
Every customer interaction matters. Make a plan to check in with every member of your sales team to insure they have the training and skills to avoid these common mistakes.